Another famous psychotherapist Sigmund Freud called the disorder the most common potential failure in the life of any man. And what is surprising is that many years have passed since then, and this statement still remains relevant.
Modern medicine has learned to solve problems with potency, there are many diagnostic and treatment technologies. But to this day, for a man, any difficulty in the intimate sphere has a strong blow to pride and self-confidence.
Causes of decreased potency in men
To dispel some myths related to this problem, first let's talk a little about statistics.
Did you know that:
- 20% of men experience erectile dysfunction;
- 10% of men turn to specialists with sexual problems;
- 80% of men noted a decrease in potency related to physiological disorders of the body;
- In 90% of cases, erectile dysfunction can be completely treated.
- Agree, on the one hand - not everything is as scary as it seems, on the other hand - the presence of physiological causes of erectile dysfunction is a good reason to suspect any disease.
- So, organic causes of impotence may be as follows.
- Vascular. Damage to the vascular wall leads to disruption of blood supply to the penis, and as a result, a decrease in potency. Diabetes mellitus, atherosclerosis, cardiovascular and other diseases lead to vascular problems.
- Hormones. Testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism) is often observed in middle-aged and elderly men. Testosterone production can also be disrupted by an excess of its antagonist, prolactin.
- Iatrogenic. Moist potential develops on the background of a man taking drugs prescribed, for example, for peptic ulcers, cardiovascular diseases, and gout. Canceling the drug or replacing it with an analogue will help solve the problem.
- Neurogenic. Erectile dysfunction occurs as a result of previous diseases, strokes, injuries of the central nervous system and peripheral nerves. In ¾ cases, the reason for decreased potency is spinal cord injury, ¼ - intervertebral hernia, neoplasm, multiple sclerosis and other diseases. Erection is weakened due to a difficult passage into the cavernous body or a complete absence of nerve impulses.
Lifestyle and potential disorders
Often, men forget that sexual strength is largely influenced by the way a person takes care of himself and his overall health.
It's no secret that smoking and regular alcohol consumption is one of the main causes of sexual failure. Also, men's health is affected by the presence of stress, frequent visits to the bathroom, improper diet. Eating an excessive amount of fatty foods (and also together with alcohol consumption), a man causes weight gain and an increase in the production of female sex hormones. As a result, this lifestyle can lead not only to erectile dysfunction, but also to infertility.
Psychological causes of weak potential
This type of main source of problems with erectile function should be considered separately. Young people are more likely to experience such disorders, in most cases - those who have just started to lead a sexual life.
The reasons for the weak potency in this case may lie:
- in the presence of psychological trauma of childhood or adolescence, when parents inspire their children that sex is something shameful, unworthy;
- in experience because of his own lack of experience, and therefore fear of ridicule;
- for fear of contracting a sexually transmitted disease;
- in fear related to the pregnancy of an unwanted partner, etc.
According to experts, adult men who have enough sexual experience behind them are quite capable of solving the psychological problem of erectile dysfunction. But young men often cannot do it without professional help.
Amazingly, relationships with partners can be the cause of problems (if they are not close enough), and the way to get rid of impotence (if they are warm, sincere).
Another important fact. If psychological factors can be the cause of weak potency by itself, then organic erectile dysfunction is always accompanied by a psychogenic component. As a result, after eliminating the cause of the problem, psychological difficulties come to the fore and interfere with the normal sexual life of a man.
How to identify the cause of erectile dysfunction
- Urogenital diseases are diagnosed by an andrologist or urologist. You will need to take blood tests, sperm and biological smears, and undergo an ultrasound.
- Hormonal disorders will be detected by an endocrinologist. The doctor will recommend to undergo an ultrasound examination and computed tomography of the endocrine glands, donate blood for hormones.
- Vascular disorders will be determined by a vascular surgeon. Studies are conducted through Doppler ultrasound and functional tests that show the level of blood supply to the penis.
- Diseases of the brain and spinal cord, peripheral nervous system will help to identify the neurologist. You will be given electroencephalography, spinal cord and brain tomography, rheoencephalography, electromyography.
- The psychological causes of sexual disorders can only be found by a psychotherapist, psychiatrist or sexologist. The diagnostic method in this case is a psychological test, a conversation with the patient.
5 main causes of problems with potency: Age has nothing to do with it!
Age, fatigue, lack of sleep, stress. Forget those words! None of these conditions affect potency and libido if the man is physically healthy.
If you decide to try various erection stimulants (pharmaceutical and not), don't be too lazy to start thinking about what actually causes the "misfire".
Hormonal imbalance, or where do men get female hormones?
What are we talking about?Decreased male hormone levels and/or increased female hormone levels.
Who is at fault?Normally, the male body produces a large amount of male hormones and a small amount of female hormones. Alcohol, smoking, malnutrition, irregular sex life, beriberi, liver disease - all these (and not only! ) sooner or later lead to:
- the production of male sex hormones decreases,
- and female production, on the other hand, may increase.
Of course, this is not good.
What to do?
- Pass a special test. Find out exactly which hormones are lacking, and which are "going wild".
- Define the scope of the problem.
- Replenish your body with lost hormones.
- Blocks excessive female hormone production.
- Restores the body's ability to produce hormones in the right amount (no more and no less).
What kind of tests should be done?Donating biomaterials for everything is an unpleasant and expensive job. Ask a urologist. He will conduct an examination, analyze your complaint and tell you what tests to go through.
Then he will choose a preparation that contains the right hormone for you. Or he will prescribe treatment so that the body "remembers" how much hormone it needs to produce.
What is the prognosis?With a correctly selected course of treatment and the implementation of the doctor's recommendations, the prognosis is positive - the potential, as a rule, is restored. Any age.
Infections of various origins
What are we talking about?Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), or infections that are in the body "in a dormant state", wake up under certain conditions.
Who is at fault?Infections and harmful bacteria can appear mainly for two reasons:
- A dubious "relationship" with no means of protection.
- The reproduction of microorganisms that always live in any person in small quantities. Usually, such microorganisms arise in diseases of internal organs, when the immune system weakens.
What to do?Both need to be identified and destroyed. The earlier the better.
What tests should be taken?There are many types of infectious diseases. Taking tests of all kinds is a waste of time and money. Visit a urologist, list all your symptoms to him, tell him in detail about how you feel during urination, during or after sexual intercourse, undergo examinations and ultrasounds.
An experienced urologist will collect all this information and make a list of necessary laboratory tests. Then, based on their results, he will establish a diagnosis and prescribe medication and procedures.
What is the prognosis?Today, most infectious lesions can be treated perfectly.
Inflammation: From pain to impotence - 1 step!
What are we talking about?Prostatitis, epididymitis, urethritis, vesiculitis, cystitis and others - all, as you noticed, with the suffix "-IT". Conditions that lead men to experience pain, cramps, burning, high fever and other unpleasant sensations.
This sensation can occur during or after urination, during sexual intercourse or in the process of ejaculation, while walking, lifting weights, and even while resting.
Who is at fault?Often the man himself is to blame. Hypothermia and, on the contrary, overheating, ignoring the first symptoms of diseases (not only urological, the cause of inflammation can even be untreated dental caries), unhealthy habits, casual relationships, infections, attempts at self-medication, uncontrolled intake of antibiotics and others-other drugs.
All this gradually accumulates - until a focus of inflammation is formed in one of the organs.
What to do?Diagnosis and treatment. The faster, the less damage will occur to the body. Inflammation causes problems not only with potency - it can cause infertility. The ideal option is to have time to recover in the acute stage. But this is not always the case - often people come to the doctor with a chronic form.
What is the prognosis?Acute inflammation can be cured quickly. And if you take care of yourself and do not ignore the doctor's recommendations, then relapse (repeated worsening) may not occur.
Chronic inflammation can also be treated. But treatment takes longer. And there is a high probability of repeated exacerbations due to colds or stress.
Vascular problems: No blood - no erection!
What are we talking about?Partial or complete blockage of the penile duct due to the formation of atherosclerotic plaque.
What is happening?A normal erection requires rapid blood flow to the penis. If there are atherosclerotic plaques or blood clots in the blood vessels, the movement of blood slows down, and the potency becomes worse. Complete blockage of blood vessels leads to absolute impotence.
Who is at fault?Improper diet, inactive lifestyle, bad habits, too frequent, or vice versa, too infrequent sexual intercourse, diseases of the cardiovascular system, stress surges, etc.
What to do?Find out why. With a urologist. Usually, a special hardware study is carried out for this:
- Vessel dopplerography
- Erectile function test
What is the prognosis?Depending on the condition of your artery, it must either be freed from atherosclerotic plaque or a new artery needs to be implanted. Which method is more suitable in your case, the doctor will determine.
Comprehensive apparatus treatment is required - vacuum LOD therapy, shock wave therapy, magneto-laser therapy. A good effect is achieved when this technique is combined with PRP therapy and intravenous injections.
The first positive results appeared almost immediately. It is important not to stop at this stage, otherwise everything will quickly return to normal. Do not be lazy, go through a full course of treatment to consolidate the effect for a long time.
Diseases of the lumbosacral spine
What are we talking about?Diseases of the spine in the lumbar and / or sacral region directly affect the health of the pelvic organs in men.
What is happening?Due to osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia, vertebral displacement, blood circulation is disturbed, nerve endings may be violated. This causes pain and numbness. And as a result - a potential violation.
What to do?Undergo a course of treatment together with a urologist and a neurologist - here you need drugs, and massage, and acupuncture, and specially designed exercises, and physiotherapy (magnet, UVT, laser). Such therapy quickly relieves pain, helps restore normal urination, improves blood circulation and restores lost sensitivity.
What is the prognosis?If you don't get yourself to the point where you need spinal surgery, then the prognosis is very comforting. With simultaneous treatment by neurologists and urologists, relatively quick recovery and potential recovery are possible.
If you are shown surgery on the spine, then the recovery will be longer and quite complicated. Do not take it to surgery - consult a doctor in time!
Examination by a urologist for problems with potency
Primary appointment with a urologist-andrologist
- prostate ultrasound
- bladder ultrasound
- Doppler study of blood vessels - for problems with potency
- Erectile function test - for problems with potency
- Biothesiometry - for problems with potency and premature ejaculation
- Doctor's consultation, evaluation of exam results
Erectile dysfunction: types, causes and methods of treatment
Men of any nationality, no matter where they live and no matter how old they are, worry about problems with their own penis. They are especially afraid when the erect penis is not hard enough, not "workable" and impossible to have sex. This disorder is called erectile dysfunction or impotence.
It should be noted that almost all representatives of the strong half of humanity from the age of 20 and above face low-quality erections. But it is possible to assume the presence of this disorder of sexual function only if 25% of the cases of intimate communication are broken (every fourth sexual relationship occurs with a "misfire").
Erectile dysfunction becomes a real tragedy for a man, he experiences it physically and psychologically, so it should be treated immediately.
Characteristics and symptoms of impotence
There are signs of erectile dysfunction:
- lack of sexual desire. Reluctance of intimacy, that is, violation of libido, occurs with a decrease in the production of testosterone (male hormone), depression due to stress, frequent fatigue, bad condition after an argument with a sexual partner;
- sluggish erection, due to vascular disease, etc. ;
- lack of ejaculation due to psychological factors;
- anorgasmia - the absence of orgasm, as a rule, is also associated with psychology.
The type of disorder is determined by its cause:
- organic - autoimmune diseases, hypertension, diabetes and some other serious diseases;
- psychogenic - problems with a partner, overstrain, stress;
- mixed up.
According to statistics, almost 80% of erectile dysfunction cases are associated with organic problems.
Each type above has its own characteristics. Psychological impotence appears suddenly, immediately, but the erection in the morning remains at the right level and the excitation of the penis continues throughout the entire intercourse.
Organic erectile dysfunction manifests itself gradually. Sexual desire is present, orgasm occurs, but the penis loses its hardness in the process of intimacy. Every day the erection is getting weaker. This indicates the presence of disease.
With the mixed nature of the disorder, the two factors mentioned above appear simultaneously for appropriate reasons.
Causes of impotence
It is advisable to list the most common causes of male sexual dysfunction:
- Taking certain medications or other substances. We are talking about the use of drugs that reduce the activity of the cerebral cortex and thus reduce the production of testosterone, antidepressants, anti-allergens, etc. This also includes alcohol and drugs.
- Psychological factors are standard - depression, constant stress, severe neurosis. Inconsistency in addiction and desire in sex with a partner or a bad relationship with him, fear of failure in sexual relations, normal fatigue at work. Much depends on the partner - his excessive persistence or the "wrong" word that has come out can contribute to the weakness of the erection.
- Various neurological diseases, circulatory disorders, injuries to the penis, pelvis or perineum, etc.
- Abnormal functioning of the endocrine system implies a violation of the production of male hormones, which is caused by genetic failures, tumors, infections, and old age. Obesity also changes the hormonal background, and since this problem now also affects young representatives of the strong half of humanity, doctors are worried that impotence is increasingly being diagnosed in this part of the population.
In addition to the above, epilepsy, penile trauma, and vascular sclerosis can contribute to the onset of impotence. The latter interferes with the blood flow to the genitals through the arteries, which is necessary for an erection, so it is either weak or completely absent. In addition, problems with veins lead to rapid excitation of the penis, but it quickly disappears and sexual intercourse cannot be completed normally.
Difficulties with blood vessels are generally dangerous for the male population of Earth. Violation of their inner shell is common for people suffering from autoimmune diseases, as well as for those who smoke a lot. There is also a disease called penile angiospasm, characterized by impaired blood circulation in the penile vessels.
Be careful with masculinity
The cause of impotence is sometimes a congenital anomaly of the penis. Such is the rare Peyronie's disease - the opening of the urethra is located incorrectly.
Another natural violation is a defect in the frenulum, a longitudinal skin fold. It is located between the head of the penis and the foreskin and has the following purpose: when excited, opens the head, arranges its bend and prevents it from moving. If the frenulum is short, then the man will experience pain during intercourse, even spots may appear.
In addition, such defects lead to premature ejaculation, so a man is used to restraining himself during intercourse to prolong it. As a result, this is full of erectile dysfunction in a stable form. Everything can be corrected quickly and easily by surgically dissecting the frenulum. The operation is simple, takes little time and is well practiced.
Separately, it should be said about genital organ injuries (bruises, burns, gunshot and stab wounds, accidents) that lead to impotence. If you receive it, you should immediately see a doctor for help, and the sooner this is done, the more likely it is to avoid erectile dysfunction that cannot be fully restored.
- broken penis during rough intercourse, hit or bent. There is a dangerous rupture of the cavernous body for potency, there is severe pain, hematoma, swollen organs. Depending on the severity of the condition, compresses or surgery may be prescribed as treatment;
- injury from a fall, exercise, in a fight. Such a closed injury violates the urethra, is indicated by a hematoma, pain when walking. Treatment - non-steroidal analgesics, compresses, rarely - surgery;
- burns from chemicals, boiling water, ultraviolet rays;
- subcutaneous bleeding, where blood vessels are damaged, swelling occurs. It is dangerous because during healing, scars can form which can be a barrier to blood flow, without which an erection is impossible. A cold compress can help.
Impotence can be caused by a combination of anatomical and psychological factors: a person after an injury has sex and experiences severe pain. In the future, on a subconscious level, he will be afraid to have sexual intercourse, which, sooner or later, will generally lead to the impossibility of an erection.
Hypothetically dangerous and some operations. Therefore, the famous composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, the author of the world-famous musicals "Cats" and "The Phantom of the Opera", declared publicly: he was impotent and became so after an operation - he had removed a prostate tumor. Such surgical intervention can really cause impotence, but in this case, the doctor saved someone's life. However, if you are regularly examined by a urologist, then prostate cancer or adenoma can be detected at an early stage and treatment can be started on time. Then such an operation, which leads to the loss of sexual function, will not be necessary.
Any modern man, from young to old, will definitely experience stress in the life cycle. Some have bad habits, are malnourished and inactive due to work specifics. All this leads to health deterioration, including in the sexual area. Modesty does not allow a man to go to the doctor and admit impotence, but this is a wrong idea.
In any case, whatever the cause and manifestation of erectile dysfunction, you should immediately contact a specialist. Currently, sexologists can help in the fight against various cases of impotence, because they have a huge arsenal for this.
Warning: self-treatment for this sexual disorder is dangerous, because pills and devices that support erection that are advertised everywhere help for a while and can be dangerous. Its use will cause a loss of valuable time, where the problem will only get worse.
It should be noted that very rarely treatment is the use of a single method that eliminates pathological factors. As a rule, an integrated approach is more effective, especially if the case (and this is often the case) is neglected. Methods of dealing with erectile dysfunction quickly restore sexual function by eliminating the factors that lead to the disorder, and help patients face the uncertainty that develops when impotence occurs.
Of course, erectile dysfunction is not a fatal problem, but because of it, a man's quality of life falls, his health and mood deteriorate, and the family collapses. Therefore, getting rid of them is important.
Impotence has long ceased to be a punishment. If a man has the first signs, symptoms, then he just needs to seek help from a urologist. Early impotence develops most often against the background of inflammatory processes, STD - their treatment has long been quick and successful with timely access to specialists.